Sunday, February 14, 2010

Agnolotti

I finally got a chance to make agnolotti. I became somewhat obsessed with this pasta shape back in November when I read about it in the French Laundry Cookbook.

Then David R gave me and Mabel his broken pasta cutter as part of his project to throw out one thing a day. Awesome! Now I didn't have to buy one on my own, and it seemed to be not so broken anyway. One man's trash is another man's treasure.


And then I ended up seeing and eating agnolotti for the first time in December. This must be providence.

The dinner last night was a good time to try it out. I made the filling the night before using sausage from our pig. I sauteed it with onion, garlic, leek, carrots, fennel, and thyme, pureed in the food processor, added parsley and then olive oil until the texture was right, then stored it in a plastic bag fitted with a piping tip that I bought at Broadway Panhandler for just this purpose.

Now for the pasta dough. I made the dough using a recipe from the French Laundry Cookbook. 1.75 cups flour, 6 egg yolks, 1 egg, 1.5 teaspoons olive oil, and 1 tablespoon milk. This is a very rich dough. I used the well method and hand kneaded the dough just for fun (although I'm a believer in the bread hook attachment on our Kitchen-Aid mixer).

The cookbook has really good descriptions and is extremely well written, but I was still a bit confused about how this pasta shape was actually made. So I looked it up on YouTube.



I love YouTube.

I piped the mixture out.


Then wet part of the pasta so it would stick better (I was paranoid) and folded the edges over.


Did the vertical pinching thing.


Started cutting.


And then got agnolotti!


The pasta cutter worked fine, but I guess I could see why David wanted to buy a new one. In any case, this is a nice starter pasta cutter. Thanks David!

I froze them that morning and cooked them up for dinner later in the day with some melted butter and thyme.


They were really good. I like this shape a lot. It's more satisfying to make than a bunch of individual ravioli. The trickiest things for me to work on is going to be figuring out the pasta thickness (either a 3 or 4 on the Kitchen-Aid attachment) and making smaller agnolotti (I think a narrower pastry tip should do the trick). I'm looking forward to the next time I can make these.

No comments: